Monument to Almon (1833-1910) and Margaret (1838-1909) Parker in Brookside Cemetery, at Watertown Center Loop and Brookside Drive, Watertown, Jefferson County, New York.
Headstone for Revolutionary War veteran Sam L. Shead (1764-1829) in Wayside Cemetery on Main Street, off U.S. Route 11, in the tiny village of Richville, St. Lawrence County, New York. The Oswegatchie River flows north of Richville. Shead was born in Massachusetts and enlisted in Capt. Samuel Warner’s company, Col. John Brown’s regiment before the age of 16.
Memorial for D. K. Bennett in Green Mount Cemetery at 250 State Street (U.S. Route 2) in the City of Montpelier, Washington County, Vermont, on bluffs along the north bank of the Winooski River. The memorial depicts a veiled woman draping a garland of flowers over a wooden cross. Surprisingly little is known about this beautiful statue, not even the interred’s birth and death dates. A Daniel K. Bennett (1824-1875) is buried elsewhere in the cemetery. Perhaps this was meant for his wife?
Keywords: Green Mount Cemetery, Montpelier, Washington County, Vermont, limestone sculpture, female statue, garland, cross, veil, D. K. Bennett
Monument to John D. Parsons, Jr. (1847-1904) and his wife, Agnes Evans Chase (1847-1935), in Albany Rural Cemetery, on Cemetery Avenue off NY State Route 32, in Menands, Albany County, New York. This majestic sculpture was designed by Oscar Lenz. John D. Parsons, Jr. was a law book publisher, president of the National Exchange Bank and Albany Trust Company, and a Freemason.
Designed by Major David Bates Douglass and established in 1841, Albany Rural is a 467-acre National Historic Landmark and the final resting place for over 135,000 people.
Mausoleum for Frederick and Margaret Wolf in Oakwood Cemetery, 940 Comstock Avenue, next to Syracuse University, in Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York. Frederick Wolf (1841-1918) immigrated from Germany, opened a furniture store in Syracuse, and became a champion checker player. He is interred here with his parents, his wife Margaret (1843-1907), and their five children. Their mausoleum is a humble example of Egyptian Revival architecture. The winged sun over the door symbolizes the soul and its eternity.
Oakwood Cemetery was designed by landscape architect Howard Daniels and opened in 1859. It is a secular Victorian “rural” or “garden” style cemetery where over 60,000 people are interred in 160 wooded acres.
Monument to Frederick F. Wead (1835-1864) in Morningside Cemetery off Raymond Street and U.S. Route 11 in the town of Malone, Franklin County, New York. Colonel Frederick Fuller Wead commanded the 98th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment at the Battle of Cold Harbor during the American Civil War. He was wounded on June 2, 1864, then returned to battle against surgeon’s orders and died leading his regiment.