Statue entitled “Elk’s Rest” in Oakwood Cemetery, 940 Comstock Avenue, next to Syracuse University, in Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York. “Elks Rest” was a gift from Miles S. Hencle as a tribute to his mother, Eliza T. Hencle. It marks the final resting place of Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks members who died while living in the Elks National Home in Bedford, Virginia, where there is a similar statue.
Oakwood Cemetery was designed by landscape architect Howard Daniels and opened in 1859. It is a secular Victorian “rural” or “garden” style cemetery where over 60,000 people are interred in 160 wooded acres.