Mausoleum for Frederick and Margaret Wolf in Oakwood Cemetery, 940 Comstock Avenue, next to Syracuse University, in Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York. Frederick Wolf (1841-1918) immigrated from Germany, opened a furniture store in Syracuse, and became a champion checker player. He is interred here with his parents, his wife Margaret (1843-1907), and their five children. Their mausoleum is a humble example of Egyptian Revival architecture. The winged sun over the door symbolizes the soul and its eternity.
Oakwood Cemetery was designed by landscape architect Howard Daniels and opened in 1859. It is a secular Victorian “rural” or “garden” style cemetery where over 60,000 people are interred in 160 wooded acres.